7
He went from being a correctional officer in a prison to one of the most dominant rappers of the late 2000s and 2010s.
Rick Ross, 43, opens up in his newly published memoir Hurricanes about the height of success, as well as his lowest moments.
In one particularly dark segment, the Hustlin' rapper opened up about a seizure brought on by codeine abuse that caused him to defecate while in bed with a woman and required a four-day hospitalization, according to an excerpt published by People.
Getting real: Rick Ross, 43, opens up in his new memoir Hurricanes about a seizure he suffered last year that caused him to defecate while in bed with a woman, according to an excerpt from People. He spent four days in the hospital afterward; pictured August 26
Rick didn't seem to hold back about abusing codeine, an opioid and controlled substance used to treat pain and coughing.
In addition to consume large quantities of codeine, Ross was also regularly drinking alcohol and other drugs, a combination of which preceded multiple seizures.
In his memoir, written with Neil Martinez-Belkin, the Teflon Don revealed the graphic details about his most debilitating seizure, which occurred in March 2018, after he'd suffered from a cold and a cough and had taken large amounts of DayQuil and used Vicks VapoRub.
'When I went to bed that night I had a seizure,' he explained. 'But I didn’t come out of it the way I usually do. My breathing was all f***ed up. At around 3:30 in the morning the girl I was with went downstairs and told Tomcat I had s*** myself and was foaming at the mouth.'
Health scare: After turning away paramedics, Rick had to go to the hospital when he began coughing up blood in the shower. 'Something had gotten into my lungs while I was having the seizure and caused an infection. I was sedated and hooked up to a breathing machine'
Despite the medical emergency, Rick had enough strength left to wash himself off in the shower.
He turned away the police and paramedics once they arrived following the 911 call.
'I’d been through this before. I’d be straight,' he wrote, though his condition quickly worsened.
'Then I started coughing up blood in the shower. That had never happened before.'
The rapper (real name: William Leonard Roberts II) finally went to the hospital, at which point doctors discovered he had aspiration pneumonia.
'Something had gotten into my lungs while I was having the seizure and caused an infection. I was sedated and hooked up to a breathing machine.'
Locked up: Because I¿d just gotten back from performing in Nairobi, Kenya... They were worried I may have brought back some sort of virus from Af­rica and wanted to put me under quarantine'
Ross had previously suffered from a similar condition the year before, when he had a seizure aboard a flight home from Europe that required a week-long stay in the hospital.
'This time the doctors were more concerned,' he explained. 'Because I’d just gotten back from performing in Nairobi, Kenya. They were worried I may have brought back some sort of virus from Af­rica and wanted to put me under quarantine.'
His condition improved after his mother arrived at the hospital and had him transferred to Memorial Regional Hos­pital in Hollywood.
'They flushed my lungs with a tube and gave me a bunch of antibiotics.'
Abuse: The rapper opened up about using codeine prior to the seizure. He mixed the prescription narcotic with alcohol, which can halt a user's breathing; pictured August 8
Though the frightening condition could easily have been life threatening, he claimed some outlets went overboard in their reporting.
'TMZ reported that I was hooked up to an ECMO machine but as serious as this was, it was never that serious.
According to Dr. George Fallieras in The Los Angeles Times, large amounts of codeine likely only cause seizures in those who are already susceptible.
Lil Wayne suffered a similar set of seizures in recent years which were also allegedly related to codeine use.
At risk: Codeine abuse can cause seizures in those already susceptible to them, according to The LA Times; shown August 8
In 2011's The Boss, Rick rapped about drinking purple drank (also known as lean or Dirty Sprite), a concoction usually involving codeine cough syrup mixed with soda and sometimes a hard candy for texture.
'Back to the thuggin’, now I’m sippin’ sizzurp / All my n****z love it, baby, that’s my wizzerd.'
Following to back-to-back seizures in 2011, the rapper started focusing more on taking care of his own health. He cut out sugary sodas and increased his vegetable intake, while also prioritizing rest, resulting in a 75 pound weight loss.
Healthy living: Following two back-to-back seizures in 2011, Rick focused on getting plenty of rest, upped his veggie intake and cut out sodas. He lost 75 pounds and claims he no longer uses codeine; pictured with Wendy Williams (L) and NeNe Leakes (R)
Rick writes in Hurricanes that he no longer codeine.
'I still believe in enjoying and living life,' he wrote. 'It’s a slow process, but I see the progress I’m making.'
The Port Of Miami rapper revealed that his goal behind being so open was to help guide impressionable children who might be following his career while also showing them other options for success.
'As a kid, nobody ever came to me to say, "Man, you don’t know your multiplication but you could still become richer than anybody who ever went to this school. 
Im going to tell some youngsters that. That even if you grew up in a neighborhood where people were dying…there’s a lot of options you can take. For one, you can be an author. That’s what